Monday, November 16, 2015

What is Infertility


Although more common than most may realize, infertility isn’t typically something that people think about until they aren’t getting pregnant as quickly as they had anticipated.  I’m not an exception.  Before experiencing infertility, I wasn’t aware of very many people that had been affected by it, and if I was, I didn’t understand the struggle of it.  It wasn’t until my husband and I weren’t getting pregnant as easily as we had hoped, that I began to notice so many others that were in the same boat as we were.  As many as 1 in 8 couples experience infertility, whether it be through having difficulty conceiving or difficulty sustaining a healthy pregnancy.1 Chances are, if you’re not the one who is diagnosed with infertility, you know at least one person, if not more, that is.    
Infertility is recognized as a disease where the male and/or female reproductive systems do not function correctly.2 Not only does it affect individuals physically, but it can really take an emotional toll on them as well.  Depression and anxiety are common with couples that are faced with infertility, as they often feel a sense of failure, which then impacts their overall self-esteem.3 
So what determines whether or not a person is diagnosed with infertility?  Most couples generally get pregnant within 6 months of trying. This number then increases to 90% of couples after 12 months of trying.  Individuals are typically diagnosed with infertility if they are unable to conceive after a year of trying without any form of birth control, after six months if the woman is older than 35, or if they are unable to sustain a pregnancy through live birth.4  
The main and most obvious sign of infertility is not being able to get pregnant.5 However, there are many other signs that one may consider, especially if thinking about going to see a doctor prior than trying for the full recommended year. These include:
·      For females…
o   Irregular menstruation
o   Previously known fertility problems
o   Being over 40 years old (over 35 if you’ve been trying for 6 months)
o   A diagnosis of endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease
o   Recurrent miscarriages
o   Having had cancer treatments
·       For males…
o    Previous known problems with sperm or low sperm count
o    Scrotum swelling,
o   A previous vasectomy
o   Problems with ejaculation
o   Having had cancer treatment

This covers only a small aspect of infertility.  We will cover many more topics such as different diagnostic testing, diagnoses, treatments, individual experiences, diet, and so much more throughout this blog. 
References:

1Mayo Clinic Staff.  (2014, July 2).  Definition.  Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/infertility/basics/definition/con-20034770

2Fast Facts About Infertility.  (2015, April 19).  Retrieved from http://www.resolve.org/about/fast-facts-about-fertility.html

3Hidden No More: The Hidden Emotions of Infertility.  (2015).  Retrieved from http://www.resolve.org/about-infertility/what-is-infertility/hidden-no-more-the-hidden-emotions-of-infertility.html

4Mayo Clinic Staff.  (2014, July 2).  Symptoms.  Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/infertility/basics/symptoms/con-20034770

5Mayo Clinic Staff.  (2014, July 2).  Symptoms.







 photo bundled-sig_zpsiuixbukx.png

1 comment:

  1. What a Miraculous Recovery!!!
    I will always remember you on this day Dr
    I was totally convinced before I could finished you medicine prepared for me for my Herpes. By Dr. Odey Abang,
    It was actually a sad incident and a painful soles still appearing and was still using the ancylovia ..
    All I was concerned was the perfect cure. Went to seerch about natural remedies for Herpes, then, I came across a comment of a lady who posted how she was cured from 7 years diagnosed of herpes and and much others with Dr. Odey Abang.
    I thought about it and decided to try for my health. I was willing to pay anything to get cured.
    Surprising, my cures came just as soon as I purchased his herbal remedies and sent to me through the DHL.
    I was guid by the doctor on how to apply.
    I felt so relieved a couple of days I used the medicine and could understand the reaction each time I took in the medicine.
    On my last bottle, I was totally convinced, I could see no sole in me and my habitat was good for my taste.
    I went to the hospital and my doctor confirmed me herpes negative. It's over a month now still showing negative.
    This is my life story and I'm using this to thank all those posting about Dr. Odey Abang for his cures and help for total cures
    His medicine are very effective, 100% qurantee with active immune booster.
    Contact him directly

    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

    for you're cure to
    Herpes, HIV/Aids, Diabetes, infertility, irregular mesturatio, Fibroid, etc

    ReplyDelete