Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Simple Changes for Healthier Eating




Sometimes healthy eating can seem a little tedious and daunting, but I’ve come to realize that if I’m making it too difficult to stick with at the time, I need to simplify.  

Here are just a few things that my husband and I have tried as “healthier alternatives”, so we can still eat the foods that we like without having to spend a ton of time on planning- it can be as simple as finding a recipe you like and switching it out!


  • Alternatives to white pasta noodles:
    • Whole wheat pasta
    • Spaghetti squash (I LOVE spaghetti squash! It can be substituted in place of almost any noodle!) Our favorites have been with spaghetti sauce, as well as this delicious recipe for Spaghetti Squash Carbonara


  • Zucchini OR eggplant in place of lasagna noodles. I’ve really liked both, but eggplant lasagna seems to be less watery when cooked compared to Zucchini Lasagna
  • Alternatives to white rice:
    • Obviously, brown rice.
    • Quinoa can make a great substitute/additive as well.  I’ve used it in place of rice, in casserole dishes, in wraps, and many other dishes.  Quinoa can have a wide range of uses!
    • Cauliflower.  This can be used in place of rice, but I have also tried a few recipes that I’ve liked where cauliflower can be used in place of mashed potatoes, to make tortillas, and pizza dough.  
  • Turkey Burger in place of Hamburger (I buy this in bulk at Costco to save money.)  Turkey burger is a leaner option with less fat, but you’re still able to get the needed protein.  
  • Turkey Bacon in place of bacon
  • Dark green leafy vegetables in place of iceberg lettuce.  Or mix them together!  Iceberg lettuce has little nutritional value, and the darker the greens the better!  If you REALLY don’t like dark green leafy veggies, green smoothies are always a great way to get them in without having to taste them.  My husband and I buy a BIG bag of the Power Greens from Costco and stick them in the freezer to add to fruit smoothies.  Our blender seems to blend them up much easier when they are frozen, AND we don’t have to worry quite as much about them going bad and going to waste.  
  • Alternatives to Flour Tortillas:
    • Whole Wheat tortillas
    • Corn Tortillas
    • Find a cauliflower tortilla recipe that you like
    • Lettuce
  • Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  Less fat and more protein equals a win.  
  • Frozen grapes in place of popsicles, candy, etc.  These make for a delicious snack when you’re craving something sweet!

And, most importantly, skip the processed foods as much as possible!  I’ve heard time and time again, do most of your grocery shopping on the outer edges and try to buy as little from the center isles as possible.    

*Note: I am in no way a nutritionist, and I am in no way saying that any of these things are the perfect and healthiest alternatives. These are just a few things that we have found to be helpful, quick and easy for my family!
-Rachel

 photo bundled-sig_zpsiuixbukx.png

1 comment:

  1. How can I explain this to the world that there is a man who can cure HERPES, I was diagnosed for the past 1 year I have being into HERPES since 1 year, so I decide to look for help in the internet then I found a post write about this great man called DR. Yakubu , people say good thing about him that this man have cured, a lot of people in the internet, him has power's to cure HSV1 AND HSV2 I don’t believe that there is a cure for Herpes Simplex Virus because though there is no cure for herpes that what I have in mind HERPES had no cure well , my HERPES is negative through the using of herbal cured of DR yakubu , I contacted this man for help because of what i see in the internet. if you need his cured just email him now on dr.yakubuherbalhealingclinic@gmail.com , thank you DR. i will never stop shearing you testimony DR. Yakubu . him Can as well CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-1, HIV/AIDS, 2, Diseases of the hear 3, Malignant tumors 4. Cardiovascular diseases 5. Diabetes mellifluous 6.Influenza and pneumonia 7.Alzheimer's disease 8. hsv1 - hsv2. If you need LOVE SPELL. E.T.C contact him dr.yakubuherbalhealingclinic@gmail.com or you whatsapp him on +2348057353647...
    Dr.yakubu 하나님은 내 삶을 회복시켜 주신 것에 대한 축복을 계속할 것입니다. 나는 사람들에게 증거를 계속 나눌 것입니다.

    ReplyDelete